Friday, September 02, 2005

Blood in, blood out

I didn't think it would be, but it was.

I got a call from dad last night just as I finished dinner that yeye was in the hospital. He had water in his lungs. I went straight to makati med to the 7th floor. When I got there the door was locked. The nurse station said they were in the kidney unit where they do dialysis. As I walked to the 5th floor, there many things were running through my mind. This can't be it. Not yet. I pushed open the door and saw my ngen ngen at the foot of the bed. Yeye was hooked up to this incredibly complicated looking machine with lots of buttons. Now I know why they don't allow children inside. The strange looking lights, knobs and dials all seemed to call to me "push me". I kept these impulses in check though as I asked what happened.

They were in the hospital earlier in the day for an x-ray to test the density of his bones. While they were there, he felt something weird happening in his stomach and was also short of breath. The nurse insisted that they have a look since they were there anyway and discovered the water in the lungs. He immediately underwent the dialysis procedure which took about 3 hours. 1 1/2 hours to take out the water and another 1 1/2 hours to clean the blood.

I stood beside him as the blood moved in and out of the transparent tubes attached to his arm and tried to make small talk. I found myself smiling more than usual when we spoke. I know the last thing I would want to see if I was in his position was a bunch of unhappy faces. So I did my best to make him feel alright even if I was scared. My eyes fail me sometimes though. I could tell he was scared too. I stood there for a while and after I sat down with ngen ngen to get more details. It was then that I realized how strong my grandma is.

Last night was his first dialysis and it might be that he'll have to do this 2 to 3 times a week. I can't imagine how hard that's going to be. Each time could take up to 4 hours per session. I'm just in a state of disbelief.

I also realized how selfish I could be. I kept thinking how all this was going to affect me. It was a slap in the face. When they'd go abroad and I was alone in the house, I didn't miss them at all. I didn't think I would care this much. You get so used to someone, you forget. I don't even wanna go there. I texted the cousins last night, they'll try to visit him today. I want him to know we care about him, even if the words can't seem to escape my lips. Even if I too scared to hold his hand.

He'll be ok.

6 Comments:

Blogger jax said...

dude.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Dude, rest assured I'll keep your grandpa in my prayers. I'm hoping my participation in the World Youth Day somehow earned me brownie points with God... He'll be okay. And so will you. Hang on in there.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Thanks guys and thanks too to everyone who texted or called in. He's doing much better now. We even went out for lunch.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marc, just read this... glad to know your Grandpa is doing better...
-Anna

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey marc! i'm glad your yeye is doing ok. my lolo had water in his lungs several months ago also and it is somewhat painful to watch them so weak and helpless :( but he's fine now.

of course, it launched a thousand discussions on my smoking habit. since my lolo smoked for a short period in his life - they blamed this. blah blah. all the lectures did was make me want to light up again. lechhh

10:24 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

yea, dad's starting to lecture me rin. but not as bad as yours i think.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home