Thursday, August 04, 2005

Loff

I needs some medication.

This is one of the worst colds I've ever had, add to that a nasty sore throat that feels like someone's jabbing a sharp pin in my throat every time I swallow. The trash bin beside me is close to overflowing with used tissues of my snot and mucous and every "th" word I utter sounds more like a "d". Like dat, like dat.

I'm a one man guy in the morning,
same in the afternoon,
one man guy when the sun goes down,
I'll whistle me a one man tune.

Sorry, more Rufus.

It's just so romantic. Loff it.

I really am such a sap.

Even if his lyrics aren't really romantic, it's the music and the way he sings that I find so enthralling. It's got a cadence to it. Each word expressed and sung with such care and attention. So lovingly sweet. So lambing. And of course tinted with sad sunglasses. Such a deft touch. Like drinking tea from a china cup. Hot. Drink slowly.

I think I also like the way his songs have this attitude about them, as if to say, yeah we know we're a little long. We know we take a while to get going. But after 5 or so minutes, you end up not wanting the song to end just yet. Let them play for a bit more, draw it out even longer, extend this note another step and a half.

Sometimes, I imagine myself walking into an old and dirty saloon, somewhere out west. Piano player in the corner. Tip my cowboy hat over my eyes and disappear beneath a bottle of whatever poison they're serving in this place.

Other times, I would be dancing a slow waltz, arms around a pretty gal. My breath on her shoulder, her breath on my cheek. Completely oblivious to the other dancers around us. The yellow glow of the antique chandeliers making everyone look dusted in gold. And the smell of her skin.

And there are times when it feels precisely like the moment when your body is at the fullest extension when you stretch in the morning in bed.

a depth is there. that i find lacking with most things. or perhaps i'm just a snob who doesn't take the time to get to know people better. or maybe people really are that shallow. well, some people.

ba-dum-pom.

I watched a lot of looney toones as a child and listened to a lot of Carpenters. I was also carried a lot. (hated walking). I ate slowly (I was usually the last one to finish his plate) and spent hours playing in the bathtub (all my toys got rusted). I love looking out windows (especially car windows, if I'm not driving). I love to sing (only when no one's looking or within earshot). I'm generally a lazy person but will go out of my way for friends. I hate rap except if your name is Young MC or the Jurassic 5. I'm currently on a bet with someone that requires me not to smoke for 40 days and 40 nights. I will win. Because I'm super competitive and love a challenge. It's always been my dream to say to someone (anyone really) the phrase; "you don't know what I'm capable of" in a very gravel-ly batman type voice and scare the beejeezus out of them. As a child, I was always the leader not because I said so, but because I always thought of the best games to play. I recently saw an 8-track tape for the first time and thought it was so cool. I recently finished reading a book and thought it was over too quickly, so now I'm reading a book with 53 chapters in it. In 3 months, I've filled up a 100 page notebook with nonsensical ideas most of which will never see the light of day (nor would I want them to, they're like gremlins except no Phoebe Cates). The more I'm taught, the more I learn my instincts were right all along. I love architecture, especially Japanese, ancient and modern all at once. I'd probably be a republican. I'd like to sleep more, if only it were possible. It was never about the money, I pray it never will. Sundays are usually reserved for chubby 8 year olds (soon to be nine). The rest of the days, nights mostly, are mine.

And that has made all the difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home